Thursday, August 28, 2014

The Pretzel Update (and another whine)

Following up on my "In Search Of" post.

I found... something. Something that doesn't entirely taste unlike pretzels. And in GF baking, as I have come to expect, that's as close as I'm going to get.

That's not to say ALL gluten-free stuff is bad... I have found awesome pasta and bread that I can make grilled cheese sandwiches for myself out of. I eat grilled cheese with ketchup now. I never did before. I have found a good scone recipe (when I remember to put in ALL the flour), and I have even discovered things like cauliflower and spaghetti squash. Yes, discovered. These were things I dared not try before ;) But nothing will replace the gluteny-yumminess of white flour. I have toyed with forgoing "taste-alikes" altogether and just changing our diet outright - spaghetti squash for "pasta", forgo bread and find other lunch items to make the kids, and lettuce wraps to replace buns. But my family (not just me!) doesn't entirely embrace change. That adventure might be saved for down the road...

But now I can add pretzels to the list of things I can make. It's only 7 ingredients for the flour, and with a bit of extra salt and sugar (as I have learned to add with most bread recipes), it tastes pretty damn good! They even fluff up!

Now for the blogging fail... Aside from taking a picture of the 7-part flour, I took no pictures during the process. So next time, my friends. Next time.

For now, just rejoice in the fact that I found pretzels again.

(in case you're wondering, I used this recipe, with the "Better than Cup4Cup" flour from this page)

No comments:

Post a Comment